Sunday, December 17, 2006

Christmas Wish?

Christmas Toys
Scott Trammell
December 17, 2006

It’s Christmas time again. I just don’t understand how some people will go so much out of their way to buy their children more toys and gifts than they need, or will ever appreciate. When I was a kid, we didn’t have much so each toy or gift was very much appreciated, and most are remembered to this day. As I pondered this, another memory came to mind……

Remember that comedy bit where Bill Cosby said his father would tell him “Go get me something to beat you with!” ? Well, I was discussing this type of thing with some friends and one guy admitted that he was actually stupid enough as a kid to go get his dad a belt, with a buckle on it.

I guess I was lucky that my parents didn’t do that. My dad was much too impatient for that. He’d just unbuckle his belt and whip that belt out like a buccaneer drawing his sword. There was nothing more scary sounding as a kid than the thwap, thwap, thwap, thwap as dad drew out that belt. You just knew that somebody was about to get it!

Mom was more creative. She wasn’t very patient either. She’d grab whatever was most handy at the time. Remember those paddle ball toys? You know, the wood paddle with the rubber band attached to the rubber ball? We’d play with those until the ruber string broke. No one tried to fix those things, mom would write our name on it and hang it on a hook. We each had our own personal whooping paddle. That’s not all she used. Remember those Hot Wheels tracks? Yep, my mom raised a few speed bumps on my backside too.

One day it occurred to me: “Scott, she’s beating you …. with your own toys!” I could just imagine my mother shopping at Toys R Us, stopping in one aisle and thinking “Oo..that’ll hurt!” After that, whenever she asked what I wanted for Christmas, my response was “Nothing! Don’t get me anything for Christmas. I’m good. Really. I don’t need anything. Maybe some socks. Or a sweater. Bermuda shorts. Just no toys, please. Better yet, just don’t get me anything. I’m fine. Honest!” My parents thought I had matured and was being noble and meek and humble. Actually, it was a matter of personal preservation!

You know something? If you ask for “nothing”, then “nothing” is just what you may get. The Bible tells us “Knock, and the door will be opened. Seek, and you will find. ASK, and you shall receive ….”

So, be careful what you ask for this Christmas. You just might get it.

And please, keep in your hearts and minds – the REAL meaning of this Holiday Season. It’s not about the toys and presents – but it is about the true gift of the KING!

Peace, Joy and Blessings to you, from Jesus Christ our Lord and Savior.


'For to us a child is born, to us a son is given, and the government will be on his shoulders.And he will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.'
Isaiah 9:6

1 comment:

That Chick Over There said...

The rampant consumption of the holiday season bothers me a lot more than I can even say. When my children were less than 1, my niece, who was 4 asked why Santa Claus loved her so much more than he loved them. Because she had so many toys it took her hours to open all of them. She could not possibly care less about any of them.

It's sad, really. Now she's 13 and thinks she's owed the world.