Monday, May 07, 2007

Breathing…..Is Life

I learned something this weekend. (Impressed?)

The Hebrew name for God, in the Old Testament, is Yahweh. At least, that’s how we say it in English.

The Hebrew people of that time considered the name of God to be too sacred, too holy, to be spoken out loud. In fact, the Hebrews used the four letters YHVH to represent the incommunicable name of God. YHVH was used in the Hebrew writings to refer only to the self existent, eternal, GOD.
In the King James and in other versions of the Bible, YHVH has been sometimes translated as “LORD”.

Think on that the next time you are reading the Old Testament!

Yahweh is just the English expression of the letters YHVH. Feel free to Google it up and learn more if you’d like, but I’d like to look at something in particular. When YHVH is expanded over time into what we now read as “Yahweh”, something rather interesting is revealed.

YHVH is more of a sound, than a name. When you break out each of the four letters, you get
Yah-Hey
Vah-Hey

Instead of just reading these words to yourself, whisper the words out loud.
It sounds like breathing doesn’t it?
Saying the name of God sounds like you are taking a breath!

“…the LORD God formed the man from the dust of the ground and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life, and the man became a living being.” (Genesis 2:7)

Okay, now think about this. We, human beings, are created in the image of God. The Bible says we are made in His likeness.
When a child is born, before that baby can cry, it has to take in a breath. That means that the first thing every human being will do, before that child created in the image of Almighty God does anything, they speak the name of God. YHVH.

“The Spirit of God has made me; the breath of the Almighty gives me life.” (Job 33:4)

I remember the day my son was born 19 years ago. As the doctor held him up to me, my son looked at me with those big blue eyes, and he spoke the name of God.

And then, together, we both cried like babies.

Let everything that has breath praise the LORD.
Praise the LORD.
(Psalm 150:6)

8 comments:

Dr.John said...

What a nice comment on the name of God.

my4kids said...

Alpha dude I really like the way you put that..

Hubby and I both cried like babies with the baby when all of our children were born.

Katrina A. said...

How cool!!! Definitely one of those wow moments. I like that we breath God from the moment we are born. He is AMAZING.

By the way, thanks for the comment on my blog today, I am starting to feel a little better. A cold in May...how odd is that, but I'll kick it!!!

Anonymous said...

Hey, that's taking what I knew to a new and unexpected level. Very cool.
Thanks for stopping by my blog!

Bill ~ {The Old Fart} said...

Wonderful Post - I never thought about it as the first breath of life as the gift of life from God.

Thank you for sharing

Real Life in South Carolina said...

I love this post! How do you come up with this stuff?

Dr.John said...

You know, of course, if you pronounce the Y as a J you end up with Jehovah instead of Yahweh.Hence the Old King James versions.

Anonymous said...

Very interesting thought Alpha Dude. I never thought of it that way, but it sure does make sense.

If you talk like you write, ummmm, I would say you are "preacher man material".

Blessings