Friday, February 09, 2007

What a Day!

What a Day!
Scott Trammell
March 29, 2006

This happened to me on Monday, March 26, 2006, in a little dusty town in California.
The story is true and people’s names have been left out because I think it’s the right thing to do.

I had spent considerable time preparing for a court case where false accusations were presented against me. I had proof that each claim was/is false. I sat in that court-room and watched the judge rule in favor of the opposition and would not even allow me the opportunity to defend myself. The judge wouldn't even look at my documentation. I left that courtroom a very angry man. Angry at the judge, my ex, and angry at God. Suffice it to say - I was fuming. We had waited all day to be called. No food or water - all day. I was physically, mentally and spiritually exhausted!

King Solomon really knew what he was talking about -


14And this is not all that is meaningless in our world. In this life, good people are often treated as though they were wicked, and wicked people are often treated as though they were good. This is so meaningless!15So I recommend having fun, because there is nothing better for people to do in this world than to eat, drink, and enjoy life. That way they will experience some happiness along with all the hard work God gives them. (Ecclesiastes 8:14-15)

I had other related matters to attend to before the end of the day so I hurried off to the building a few blocks away. When finished, I asked them where the next office was located I need to go to and it was in the court building I had just spent the entire day! Great.

I had spent that entire day waiting for our case to be called. During the day, I got to know some people a little bit, another “ex” couple, who were going through similar issues.
As I got back to the courthouse (where I had started from), I was heading across the parking lot towards the building, still angry and asking God why He had abandoned me today. At just that moment - God showed up.

The fellow I had met during the day was storming out of the courthouse. Apparently, things hadn't gone well for him either. I heard him as he passed by me as he raved at how the judge had gone against him, and I sympathized with him, as I could surely relate to his circumstances. The same thing had happened to me just a short time earlier.

Then, shaking his head and with tears in his eyes he angrily mumbled that he just couldn’t handle it anymore and was going to kill himself. I recalled what his ex-wife had mentioned earlier in that he keeps a handgun in his truck.

I felt the Holy Spirit tugging at me. I looked up at God and thought "Oh great! You mean now? They're about to close the office inside!" The Spirit said "GO!" - So I went. I turned around and hurried after him.

Long story short - I walked with him back to his truck, was able to talk him down, prayed with him and he didn't kill himself. I don't remember all that was said since the Holy Spirit was using me at the time and the words that came out of me didn't belong to me. I guess I should have been paying attention. We exchanged contact information and he got in his truck and drove away.

Afterwards, I went inside and had plenty of time left to take care of business - only this time, with a clean heart and calmness and peace. No anger. God blessed that too, and the staff was very helpful.

As I came back out of the building, I met the man’s ex-wife. She was waiting for me in order to tell me thank you for talking to her ex and for praying with him. She said I saved his life. I told her that no, God saved him, He just let me help. A few weeks later the man called me to thank me for taking the time to pray with him that day and what a difference that had made in his life. He said things had gotten better for him and he is now getting back to church and praising God.

God is good. And He is always there - even if we can't feel Him or see Him. He hadn’t abandoned me that day, I had just taken my eyes off of Him. God's blessings keep pouring in amidst the trials and tribulations.

Blessings to you.

“And we know that all things work together for the good for those who love God and are called according to His purpose”. (Romans 8:28)

3 comments:

That Chick Over There said...

What a powerful story. Thanks for sharing that.

I remember the day I got divorced too. I left to courtroom feeling like God had abandoned me. I remember my ex-husband on the stand and the judge asking him what day the twins were born and what their middle names were and he had no idea. I really thought I could hear my heart physically crack in half right then.

It's amazing what's right around the corner and how much happiness it can bring.

my4kids said...

Wow that is a powerful story. I don't know what else to say.

my4kids said...

Thanks for your comments and prayers they are really appreciated.