Saturday, September 22, 2007

The Push of a Button

We’ve had some really great weather lately, and when the weather is nice, we like to barbeque. The way that works at our house is that my lovely wife prepares the chicken with spices and ........ whatever she does (I really don’t know), and I cook it out on the grill.

I like my gas grill. All I have to do is turn on the gas, push a button and presto……instant flame.

However, this summer the igniter hasn’t been working. Whenever I push the button, nothing happens. I figured it just wore out. All summer I had been using a fireplace lighter to start the grill (since pushing the button didn’t work anymore).

So while on my way home from work the other day, I stopped off at the store for some groceries and noticed they had gas barbeque grill replacement parts. Among those parts was a new igniter for the grill, just like mine. I had already spoken to my wife on the phone and she said she was preparing the chicken so I could start the grill once I got home. Naturally I bought a new igniter, thinking I would replace our old one as soon as I got home. It looked rather simple to install and I figured I should be able to install it in a matter of minutes before I started the grill for our dinner, while the grill was still cool.

I pulled my truck into the garage and carried the groceries into the kitchen. Once the groceries were unloaded, I proudly grabbed the new igniter and headed for the back patio to perform the manly task of repairing the grill. My wife would be so impressed (or so I thought).

As I got to the back door, I met my wife as she was coming back inside.

She said, “The grill is ready for you”.

“What do you mean ‘It’s ready’?”

“I started the grill for you”

“You’re not holding the lighter, how did you start the grill?”

“I just pushed that little red button and it started right up”

“You pushed the button?”

“Yep”

“And it worked for you?”

“Yep”




**Sigh**




The chicken was delicious too.

6 comments:

EE said...

LOL! Don't you hate it when it happens like that?????

my4kids said...

I had to laugh also, hehe. Too funny. We had one that only worked sporadicly for us but Kelly never wanted to replace the ignitor so he just used the lighter every time without trying.

Real Life in South Carolina said...

Yep. That's how it works. At least the chicken was good.

That Chick Over There said...

She rocks! :)

Dr.John said...

I understand that feeling.

That Chick Over There said...

Where are you my friend? Haven't seen you about lately.

Hope all is well in your alpha world.