Friday, August 01, 2008

Pet Peeves…..

As far as I am concerned, the funniest things are the things that actually happen in real life.

In fact, what happened yesterday was so funny….you just can’t make this stuff up.

And no one saw it coming.

I work in cubicle city. So there is absolutely NO privacy what-so-ever.
Conversations WILL be overheard.

I had a brief discussion first thing yesterday morning with a colleague on the subject of prejudices. (He has a way better tan than me, if you get the picture. Don’t worry. We’re good friends).
After I walked away (because I do actually work for a living and had much of it to do) another co-worker approached him to say that he too had an issue with prejudice people. He felt some people are prejudice against him because of his height (or lack, thereof).

If you know anything about me you would know that I am most definitely NOT a tall person. In fact, I do believe I have heard just about every short joke there is, and if someone comes up with a new one, it won’t be long before I hear that one too. I’m used to it. It doesn’t bother me. I am exactly the height that God designed me to be and I am okay with it. (I wasn’t for a long time, but I got over it and that is a different story all together).

Now, where was I?

Oh yeah. The co-worker who is self-conscious about his height.

He’s a really great Christian guy and the only guy I know around here that is shorter than me. He was telling this other fellow that his only Pet Peeve is when anyone makes fun of his height, or his shortness, or .....well, you get the idea.

Later in the day, their team manager (who is a freakishly LARGE man) overheard another conversation that went something like this:

(First guy): “So, what did you do last night?”

(Short Co-Worker): “I went to the midget races.”

To which the manager blurted out:

“Did you win?”




Total ….and…. complete…… silence.



Later on, the manager went and apologized for being so insensitive.
The short fellow forgave him.




Still…it sure is quiet around here today.




Blessings.


I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well. (Psalm 139:14)



.

4 comments:

Dr.John said...

For some reason managers don't seem to be picked for sensativaty.

EE said...

I think he deserved it. When you answer "midget races", you deserve a smart aleck remark;)

CrazyDeb said...

Ok, I'm wondering if ee knows what "midget races" are - they're car races ee!! I need to educate that friend of mine.

On the other hand - some places would fire the guy for the comment. Glad it just got quiet there.

Anonymous said...

Sorry, I'm a terrible person! As humiliating as it must have been for that poor man, I couldn't help but laugh at the manager's question. I'm glad the manager apologized though. And let's not forget that one of the greatest Bible heroes - King David - wasn't a tall man, yet he slayed a giant! I have to remind my son of this when he gets overly concerned about his height. Funny thing is, he's the one with the girls calling him up and pretending to be in need of rescue! :)