Friday, March 21, 2008

The Sound of Wind……

On Monday night of this week, while visiting family and friends in California, my son’s car was stolen while he and his little sister were at the movies. He filed reports with the police and checked in with them every day. He had contacted his insurance company to begin the claim process.

He was pretty bummed. I told him that the car can be replaced and that I am just thankful that he and his sister are okay. “But Dad, a car like that one is really rare!”

He’s right, cars like his don’t come along often (the year, make and model, in excellent condition). It was really nice.

I had been praying like crazy for my son. I know a lot of you have been praying too.

Thank you.

He had finally accepted the fact that he’ll never see his car again and we made arrangements to fly him home next week.

Yesterday afternoon my son called me.

“I am so happy!”

“Wha….?”

“I GOT MY CAR BACK!!”

“You did? How? What happened?”

“The police found it just down the street from where it was stolen. In an apartment complex parking lot. The stereo, my iPod and all my tools are gone, but the car is still in great shape and runs great! I’m driving it right now!”

Apparently, the thieves left behind a lot of WD-40 covered hand prints and finger prints and the police found a used syringe in the center console. There is hope they may actually find those guys. The thieves had taken the time to remove the stereo and the brackets and the wiring harness, so the dashboard is not damaged.

My son has his car back.

And God is good and God answers prayer.

Please read that last statement again. As I was thinking about writing this, it occurred to me what that last statement says and what it means.

Would I still say that, giving God the Glory and praising His name if the car had never been recovered?

I was really trying hard to do just that before my son called me. I was trusting that God knew what He was doing and that

“…all things work together for the good…..according to His purpose…”, and I was doing my best to encourage my son to keep moving forward and trust God. But did I really mean it deep down inside? (Would you?)

I have been thanking God and praising Him ever since my son called me yesterday.

But…

Would I still feel this way if things had gone the other way?
I would like to think so, but I also know it wouldn’t be with as near as much enthusiasm and joy.

God knows my heart and I know there is no way I could ever fool Him or put one over on Him.

I am rejoicing for my son. Even though he will be listening to the sound of wind for 2100 miles early next week as he drives his car home.

Maybe he’ll hear the Holy Spirit speaking to him through the wind?




He mounted the cherubim and flew; he soared on the wings of the wind.
(2 Samuel 22:11)

7 comments:

Gerbil said...

That is wonderful! I'm glad, too, that he wasn't hurt. That the thieves at least didn't carjack anyone....

Angie said...

What great news!! And, I have to tell you, that I have had these thoughts many times. . . .God is ALWAYS good. But, I have to be careful that I'm not trying to "pull the wool over his eyes" when I say it and don't fully believe it.

Great post, my friend. . .and even greater news!!

my4kids said...

That's great that they found the car and no real damage to it. Hopefully they do find the people who took it.
You are right that it's hard to say you would still be thanking God if it hadn't been found. I try to find the good in things when they aren't going well to thank God but that is a lot harder then when things go right.

Bill ~ {The Old Fart} said...

I am glad your son got his car back, God is Wonderful.

Wishing you and your Family a Very Happy Easter.

EE said...

So glad they found the car...
Now lets hope they find the thieves!!!

Dr.John said...

I'm glad the car is back. It is possible that God will speak to him through the wind. There is certainly biblical precedent.

Real Life in South Carolina said...

I'm so happy they found your son's car...and in good shape!

You know, God not only examines your heart, but he also sees that you are a man who examines his own heart so that he can grow and be true not only to God, but yourself and your family.

You are setting the right example for your son, and sharing your faith with him, even during a time when things are rough. I have no doubt your example and faith will open doors for God to speak to him in many different ways.

God Bless Your Family!