Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Another One of Life’s Lessons…..

Sometimes It takes me a while to learn some of life’s lessons. I think that may have something to do with my attitude and admitting I may have something to actually learn from certain people.

When I was younger, my mother told me I would never amount to anything because I procrastinate. I told her, “You just wait!”

Okay, seriously, with all the nonsense that has occurred lately, I have had to ask myself, “What am I supposed to learn from this?”
I may not agree with a certain “leader” in my church, or even like him, but it still doesn’t change the fact that he holds that position in our church. You’ll notice I put the word “leader” in quotes. I am still struggling with the idea that this man holds any type of leadership position at all. Especially since I have been learning lately that there are several other people in our church that have had similar issues with him. (Each of those folks are very nice people with huge servant’s hearts and a strong passion for doing anything the Lord calls them to do). So I guess I don’t get the fact that I am apparently the only who dared step forward and try to hold this man accountable.

Either way, he is still in charge of that one ministry, and his wife is the chairman of the board of another major ministry in our church. Both ministries he said he would not allow me to serve in again. Like I said, I am still struggling with this. Sometimes I am certain that he believes that WWJD means "What Would Judas Do?"

I am reading a book right now (well, not right this minute, I can do a lot of things, but reading a book and typing this all out at the same time isn’t one of them). The book is by a minister named Mike G. Williams, and Mike (according to the cover of the book) is the third funniest man in America. The title of the book is “Turkey Soup for the Sarcastic Soul”. This is my kind of guy. I’ve actually met him in person.


The following is from Mike’s book, and the Holy Spirit has been using this to help me understand some things. It applies to anyone in leadership positions, not just politics.
You may even find it useful in dealing with the recent election results.
I have a confession. Here it goes. I have spent countless hours being critical of our political leaders and countable minutes praying for them. I should be flogged. Which, by the way, is still legal in Mississippi. I have written hundreds of jokes making fun of our leaders and never written a prayer. If our leaders are really ordained by the Lord, then maybe there is a master plan to what God is doing through them. Quite possibly, if we were viewing this whole thing from a loftier perch, we would see a rhyme and reason. I wholeheartedly endorse the candidates that represent godly views while remembering that God may choose to take things in a different direction. He has a master plan, and I must trust Him. There are times when God causes calamity to fall on a nation to help them run towards Him.
I want to challenge you to join me in the following commitment. Every time I tell a politically motivated joke, and I will, I will also whisper a prayer along with it. Admittedly, I have not stated that I will tell no more political jokes. Rather, I will attempt to balance the scales with a prayer, too. It may not be a full revival, but it is a start. Will you join me?

This part of his book really struck me. I hate to admit it, but I have caught myself getting involved in the gossip and trash talk of the one I call the Pharisee. I still view him that way, but I need to exercise more self control when his name comes up in conversation with others. I need to start praying for him, and stop talking down about him. Yeah, he hurt me. So what? The world didn’t stop spinning and God is still in control and Jesus is still on the Throne.

So maybe, God has bigger plans for me than I realize. I have been asked if I would be interested in helping another church about an hour away with their Alpha program and training other people how to do the Alpha Dude thing.  It is possible that God had to remove me from the ministry I was currently in before He could use me elsewhere. Yeah, maybe. But I sincerely believe that the vessel of His choosing screwed up his assignment. But I guess I’m supposed to learn from that, too.

Paul, in his letter to the Romans, said this:
Let everyone be subject to the governing authorities for God has instituted the governing authorities that exist. (Romans 13:1)
This won’t be easy for me to do, but I know that I can do all things through Him who strengthens me. I serve but One master, the Lord of lords and the King of kings, the ruler and Master of all creation. With Him on my side, how can I possibly lose?

I still like to have fun and make people laugh every chance I get. No one, not even a so-called “leader" in our church, can take that away from me. I agree with Dennis Miller who said:
“Laughter is your best weapon. Keep the safety off, and don’t take yourself too seriously.”
I believe that laughter, having fun and enjoying the company of good friends is a gift from God. So accept God’s gift to you. God’s gift to you is His Son, Jesus. Jesus brought joy, and hope, and laughter. So go ahead and yuk it up, y’all!
A merry heart does a body good, like medicine. (Proverbs 17:22)

Blessings.

3 comments:

EE said...

I'm sorry that this is happening. It's so hard to pray for those who make our lives difficult, but such a good idea... I need to remember that!
That's great about the Alpha training program. Are you going to do it???
Sure you don't want to bring the dude to Woodcrest???

Bill ~ {The Old Fart} said...

Sorry that this has happened, but we seem to get stronger in the presence of our Enemies. You are right to Pray for him and hopefully he will see the light.

Isn't it wonderful when we get to know God's gift of Forgiveness, it makes our lives so easier.


A Happy Thanksgiving is wished for you and your Family.

EE said...

How are you, Dude????
Where are you????